Founded in April of 1958…
The Stone Steppers are proud to be one of 2 remaining charter clubs of the North Texas Square and Round Dance Association (NORTEX). The club started when a group of Casa View neighborhood residents began dancing at the then, newly-built Harry Stone Recreation Center in Dallas. The group began square dance lessons which were taught by a local high school teacher. Afterwards in early 1959, the club’s first callers, Buddy and Betty Jones, were chosen. Club dues were set at 50 cents per couple/per dance.
Stone Steppers served as hosts for the first NORTEX Round-Up (a large regional dance held each year) as well as the first NORTEX New Year’s dance in 1961. By 1968 Stone Steppers had become the largest club in NORTEX and added round dancing to their repertoire. The group has continued the tradition of square and round dancing as set forth by its founders since that time. The Stone Steppers Square and Round Dance club has been recognized as NORTEX Club of the year for the years 1978-1979, 1993-1994, 2007-2008 and 2014-2015.
Our club caller and his wife are Bill & Elizabeth Hinkley and our club cuer and her husband are Christine & Theron Hixson.
The club currently dances at the Holy Trinity Episcopal Church in Garland, Texas. The beautiful facility offers an easily accessible location and a great place to enjoy square and round dancing. We are grateful for the graciousness of the staff and congregation at Holy Trinity!